There’s no cause for alarm. Properly tuned and installed, home oil equipment produces insignificant traces of carbon monoxide. And if an oil burner is so out of tune as to produce higher levels of carbon monoxide, it normally produces smoke as a clear warning. However, if someone you know is using natural gas burners to heat their home they should be concerned. Unfortunately, natural gas produces no warning of carbon monoxide danger. In either case it is beneficial to install a carbon monoxide detector (similar to a smoke detector) in your home.